30th anniversary of death of Princess Grace of Monaco
1. Grace Kelly, the Hollywood actress-turned-princess, died 30 years ago, on 14 September 1982. In this gallery we look back on her life and career.
2. A 1950s portrait of US actress Grace Kelly. Between 1950 and 1953, the young actress appeared on stage and in live TV productions.
3. Grace Kelly (1929-1982), is shown in this portrait from the early 1950s. In 1951 she made her little-noticed film debut in the film ‘Fourteen Hours’, but stardom would have to wait another two years.
4. 1953: Ava Gardner, Clark Gable and Grace Kelly in ‘Mogambo’. This film won her a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress and an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
5. 1954: James Stewart and Grace Kelly in ‘Rear Window’
6. 1955: American actress Grace Kelly on the set of ‘To Catch A Thief’, some of which was filmed on the riviera, where she met Prince Rainier of Monaco – and also where she died
7. 30 March 1955: Presenter Bette Davis poses with Marlon Brando, winner of the Best Actor Academy Award for On the Waterfront, and Grace Kelly, who won Best Actress for The Country Girl
8. 5 January 1956: Prince Rainier III of Monaco and his fiancee Grace Kelly show her mother her engagement ring at the Philadelphia county club where the Kellys announced the engagement
9. 23 February 1956: US actor Gregory Peck is flanked by Grace Kelly (R), awarded Favourite Actress for Henrietta and Jean Simmons, named Best Actress in a Musical Comedy
10. 27 February 1956: A dummy of the stamp to be issued by Monaco Stamp Office for the wedding of Prince Rainier with US actress Grace Kelly, to be held 19 April 1956