Saguaro cactus that grows in Mexico, Arizona, and parts of California, is a true giant, grows to the size of the tree. And in this “tree” we can see interesting inhabitants who are living thier life here have a look…
2. And someone even able to make this cactus their home. For example, this type of woodpecker seems to feel more confident among thorns.
3. Although the saguaro is a National Flower of Arizona, also grows in Mexico.
4. Its name comes from a combination of Spanish and local Indian languages. According to tradition, they gathered red fruit saguaro, which are important source of food for them.
5. This golden woodpecker did`nt got a lot of wood here, but he feels quite comfortable in the desert and on this plant.
6. Cactus attracts many living organisms, that is simply amazing.
7. Very rarely we can see a hummingbird fluttering over the vast, cactus-like candelabra. Very, very long saguaro cactus that began his ascent to heaven. Although sometimes these cacti grow to 15 meters, he begins to bloom only for 50 years.
8. Local hummingbirds can be weighed in grams, and the Saguaro can weigh up to 9000 kg. That’s the difference.
9. The age difference may also be hit. Saguaro can live to 200 years. When the first saguaro let their roots, when the Napoleonic wars, and Abraham Lincoln was not even born. Even though it’s a pretty advanced age, they die, basically, if they uproot the wind, or are washed away. However, even after their death, they are useful, for example, this house wren. If you look at the photos below you can see another inhabitant of the cactus – A lizard.
10. A flock of finches use the cactus as a viewing platform to watch the nearby lake. The roots of the cactus is very broad, they absorb moisture from a large area around it.
11. Although the cactus and amazes us with its height and shape, its flowers are very small.
12. However they have perfect form and attract a large number of insects that are ready to take the plant produced pollen.
13. Flowers grow at night and remain open for the next day, so many people believe that birds and insects, the main pollinators of plants. Maybe it does not seem at first sight, but the flowers saguaro cactus fruit yield, which can be up to 2,000 seeds.
14. Cactus secured good relations with nature, because its flowers are incompatible with each other. This means that they can not pollinate themselves, so they need the help of native mammals, birds and insects. Since the pollination of several thousand seeds need a lot of pollen, cactus becomes the center of life, when in bloom. In the photo: paper wasps have an unusual choice for a nest.
15. When the fruit matures, it acquires a reddish tint, which attracts birds such as wren this brownie. These fruits are an important part of the diet of these birds.
16. Some birds are not so grateful. For example, this woodpecker nests in Viet sometimes saguaro, cactus that can not handle. It is known that nest built in the wrong place can kill the plant.
17. All birds of a certain size have to be careful,while landing on a cactus. For example, the Dall’s turtle.
18. However, successful landing, can be considered safe and even invite a friend to a south wing clean.
19. Cactus attracts not only unusual and exotic birds, even the sparrow could not resist the temptation to arrange a home in the cactus.For example, the male seems to feel at home in Arizona cactus.
20. A unusual visitor, as this hummingbird is really pleasing to the eye and imagination.
21. Virginia owl and the buzzard Scarletail also often visit the cactus.
22. Although the saguaro is a source of food for many animals.
23. One can only hope that this unique and wonderful ecosystem is to survive.
24. And yet, even if you have not arranged house in the cactus , or did not tasted astringency of its fruit, you can always use it as a good perch from which you can bask in the sun after a hearty lunch.