Platinym Writes blogger : In 1976, the airline “Aeroflot” was the first in the world that year carried more than 100 million passengers by the end of 1980 this figure had increased to 130 million. Basically “Aeroflot” made flights within the country, but the company’s route network spanning five continents – Asia, Europe, Africa, North and South America.
See more promotional photos of “Aeroflot”. Certainly looks nice…
1. Since 1953, with the aircraft “Aeroflot” the total of 127 accidents and disasters that killed 6,895 people, including 20 people on the ground.
2. One of the most unusual accidents occurred in March 1994, when Airbus A310 subsidiary airline “Russian air line”, flying «Aeroflot» SU593 Moscow – Hong Kong fell down. Then the commander of the ship, relying on autopilot, put his 15-year-old son, the second pilot was at his workplace. As a result of the efforts of a teenager attached to the steering column automatically disconnected the autopilot and the aircraft went into an inverted spin, was not initially seen by the crew, which derive from the plane failed. This story was widely known in the world.
3. October 8, 1996 while landing at the airport in the Italian city of Turin crashed Russian cargo plane An-124 “Ruslan” rented “Aeroflot” in JSC “Airline” Ajax “.” When landing ship began to turn the wheels and chassis touched one of the houses on the outskirts of the village of San Francesco al Campo. Then the plane crashed on an agricultural farm, located 5 km from the airport. As a result of the fall of the liner partially collapsed, and on board there was a strong fire. Five people were killed, 11 injured. Airline “Ajax” calls with “Aeroflot” compensation in the $ 70 million as “Aeroflot” plane released the route with an expired insurance.
4. October 25, 2000 while landing at the airport in Batumi (Georgia) IL-18D crashed 223rd flight crew carrying a joint operation with the airline “Aeroflot” Russian servicemen of the 12th military base in Transcaucasia. 73 passengers and 11 crew members were killed. Cause of the accident was the pilots navigational error and lack of control by dispatchers.
5. September 14, 2008 in Perm crashed Boeing-737 subsidiary airline “Aeroflot-Nord”, flying “Aeroflot» SU821. Killing all aboard were 82 passengers and 6 crew members. The next day after the disaster “Aeroflot” announced the termination of joint flights and withdrawing its brand from a subsidiary airline “Aeroflot-Nord”.
6. “Aeroflot” is not just suffered from a cold war policy. The airline started flights to the USA in 1968, since the flights by the decision of the U.S. leadership stopped three times: in 1979 – in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, in 1981 – in response to Soviet actions in Poland in 1983 – in response the destruction of the Korean “Boeing” over the Kuriles.
7. “Aeroflot” featured in the film “2001: A Space Odyssey,” “The Bourne Supremacy”, “The Adventures of Italians in Russia”, “Brother 2″, “The Irony of Fate. Continued “,” We are from the Future “,” Terminal “,” Vysotsky. Thank you for living “,” Die Hard: A good day to die. ”
8. Life and work of pilots “Aeroflot” is reflected in a number of Soviet films, in particular, “Crew”, “Mimino”, “Wingspan”, etc.
9. “Aeroflot” – the official carrier of the Olympic Winter Games in 2014.