British photographer Robbie Shone explores beautiful ice caves in a Swiss glacier
1. British adventure photographer Robbie Shone descended into the Gorner Glacier near Zermatt in Switzerland to capture spectacular pictures of ice caves.
2. Robbie said: “It was extremely spectacular. This was the first time I’d been in an ice cave and they were absolutely beautiful.
3. ”Ice caves are more impressive than ‘normal’ caves – they offer a completely different challenge.
4. Robbie and a team of seven others descended into moulins – vertical shafts in the glacier – to map, photograph and survey the caves.
5. ”We were the first group to map these moulins and because the glaciers move around 15 metres a year – they change every year.
6. ”We were camping for six days and because of the heavy snow we spent two days digging a path down to the glacier.
7. ”The trip was a complete success and will help researchers get a better understanding of glaciers’ rate of melting.”