China’s new leader, Xi Jinping, and his wife, singer Peng Liyuan
1. With a revolutionary hero for a father and a pop star for a wife, China’s new leader Xi Jinping has impeccable political pedigree but has given few clues about how he will govern the country. Xi, 59, walked into the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on Thursday.
2. China’s next first lady Peng Liyuan is a dazzling singer whose profile long eclipsed that of her husband Xi Jinping, and who will bring a touch of glamour to a role hidden in the shadows.
3. In his travels abroad, Xi Jinping has often been something unusual for a Chinese communist leader: an ordinary guy. In Ireland, he stopped at a stadium to kick a football around.
4. On a key getting-to-know-you visit to the US, he took several hours to visit with Midwestern families who had hosted him more than a quarter-century before.
5. He took in a Los Angeles Lakers game during an official visit to the US earlier this year.
6. And in the Great Hall of the People, when he was introduced as the Chinese Communist Party’s new secretary general.
7. Xi has an ease and affability that have been lacking from China’s leader of the last 10 years, Hu Jintao, though it’s unclear whether.
8. As the son of the late Xi Zhongxun, a respected Communist elder, he is part of the “princeling” generation – the privileged offspring.
9. Xi joined the Communist Party and in 1975 moved to Beijing to study at the prestigious Tsinghua University. He oversaw some of China.
10. Xi was handed the high-profile task of overseeing the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He has also managed relations with the former British.
Ads by Google