David Cameron pays surprise visit to troops in Afghanistan
1. David Cameron has made a surprise trip to Afghanistan as Britain prepares to bring troops home. The Prime Minister landed at the military base of Camp Bastion, which will have sent all active forces home by the end of 2014.
2. He said bringing all troops home by this deadline is “doable and deliverable”. He insisted Afghanistan will soon be ready to take control of its own security.
3. The Prime Minister inspected the new Foxhound military vehicles, which are being tested for use in the hot and dusty Afghan desert.
4. The Prime Minister spoke to troops and military chiefs on the ground ahead of tough decisions about the timetable for a pull-out from the region protected by British soldiers since 2001.
5. The Prime Minister chats to British soldiers in their living quarters at Shawqat forward operating base in Helmand Province
6. David Cameron visits British soldiers’ living quarters at Shawqat forward operating base
7. David Cameron has his picture taken with female British soldiers at Shawqat forward operating base in Helmand Province
8. The Prime Minister by helicopter in Lashkar Gah in Helmand Province, Afghanistan where he met British soldiers and held talks with heads of the Afghan National Army and police force
9. David Cameron chats to British soldiers based at Lashkar Gah in Helmand Province
10. David Cameron has a chat with British soldiers based at Lashkar Gah