30 facts of the day – a mmix of funny, amusing, interesting, bizarre and strange facts.
1. Facts of the Day- The only Japanese who survived the Titanic lost his job because he became known as a coward in Japan for not dying with the other passengers.
2. Facts of the Day- grasshoppers require 12 times less feed to produce a kilogram of edible mass than cattle. With global population growing, climate change etc, United Nations wants us to mass produce bugs for human consumption.
3. Facts of the Day- Tetris Effect’, where a person devoting a large amount of time to a particular pattern-based activity will start unconsciously thinking and dreaming about it
4. Facts of the Day- that gamers, playing an online protein folding game, helped decipher the structure of an AIDS causing virus in 10 days; It had remained unsolved by scientists for 15 years. Using the same platform, gamers also helped redesign a widely used enzyme, increasing its activity by a factor of 18.
5. Facts of the Day- the smallest muscle in your body, found in the middle ear, dampens the sound of your own voice when you speak. Recordings of your voice sound odd because the stapedius muscle isn’t functioning then.
6. Facts of the Day- nearly 70% of African American children and 60% of Hispanic children do not know how to swim. African-American children drown at a rate nearly three times higher than white children.
7. Facts of the Day- that Bill Gates is offering $100,000 to the scientist who creates a next generation condom that “significantly preserves or improves sexual pleasure, in order to improve uptake and regular use”.
8. Facts of the Day- poop is seperated into different classes by an official scale
9. Facts of the Day- Denis Cyplenkov, an arm wrestling champion and bodybuilder, has the biggest and most densely muscled hands in the world
10. Facts of the Day- Joe Arridy was named the happiest inmate on death row. He had an IQ of 46 and played with a toy train given to him by the prison Warden. Due to his lack of understanding, he smiled on the his way to the gas chamber
11. Facts of the Day- There was an armed interceptor version of the SR-71 called the YF-12. It was the largest manned interceptor ever made, and held several world records for speed and altitude. It was cancelled after the secretary of defense held funding so it could be spent in the Vietnam war.
12. Facts of the Day- that during Passover, Coca-Cola sells coke with sugar instead of corn syrup in areas with a substantial Jewish population because corn syrup isn’t kosher.
13.Facts of the Day- the “clicking” and “tsking” in African tribe languages was used as hunting tools thousands of years ago, as the clicking was quiet enough to be communicated without alerting the prey.
14. Facts of the Day- in 1945 a group of Russian school children presented a US Ambassador with a carved US Seal as a gesture of friendship. It hung in his office for 7 years before discovering it contained a listening device.
15. Facts of the Day- that some artists between 16th and 19th centuries used a type of brown paint called Mummy Brown, which was made from ground up Egyptian mummies.
16. Facts of the Day- A hacker in the 70’s (John Draper) found that a toy whistle in the cereal Cap’n Crunch blew at the same frequency that was used by AT&T long lines to indicate that a trunk line was ready the route a new call, essentially allowing him to make free long distance calls.
17. Facts of the Day- that an Italian man named Gino Strada has performed 30,000 operations in places such as Sudan, Cambodia and Afghanistan. All free of charge.
18. Facts of the Day- that the day after Thanksgiving isn’t referred to as “Black Friday” because of the profits seen by retailers, but was originally coined by traffic cops in Philadelphia to describe the disastrous traffic conditions
19. Facts of the Day- there is an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that has been pending ratification since 1810. It would strip the citizenship from any American who accepts a title of nobility from another country.
20. Facts of the Day- Reborn Doll therapy is used to help Alzheimer and dementia patients (reborn dolls resemble human babies as much as possible). At one care home in the UK, doll therapy reduced the number of patients using psychotropic medication from 92% to 28%.
21. Facts of the Day- that after receiving so much hate from fans, the American Godzilla from the 1998 movie was made to fight Japanese Godzilla. Their fight was the shortest in Godzilla history, with Japanese Godzilla winning in 20 seconds.
22. Facts of the Day- that scientists were able to transplant eye primordia (bits of flesh that eventually grow into eyes) from one tadpole’s head to another’s posterior. Many of the new eyes formed neural pathways to the spine – bypassing the brain altogether – and gave the tadpoles sight.
23. Facts of the Day- Voltaire became hugely wealthy by exploiting a flaw in the French lottery.
24. Facts of the Day- there is a hungarian nazi terrorist group called Betyársereg, whom you can call if you are in “trouble” and their squad will come and help you out. They don’t charge for their “services” if Roma people are involved.
25. Facts of the Day- that a Canadian man spent 7 years digging a basement using nothing but scale remote controlled diggers and trucks.
26.Facts of the Day- that the Church of Scientology has a “prison” that they keep underperforming members of the church in
27. Facts of the Day- that the Church of Scientology has a “prison” that they keep underperforming members of the church in
28. Facts of the Day- that Steve Jobs’ First Business was Selling Blue Boxes that Allowed Users to Get Free Phone Service Illegally
29. Facts of the Day- that a 7x7x7 Rubik’s cube has 1.95·10^160 unique combinations, to put that into perspective, the amount of atoms in the observable universe is smaller (10^78 – 10^82)
30. Facts of the Day- that Mr. T dressed up as Santa to hand out presents at the White House in 1983. Nancy Reagan even sat on his lap as he presented her with a Mr. T action figure.