Freddie Mercury, The Great Pretender
1. All images from Freddie Mercury, The Great Pretender, A Life in Pictures (Goodman Books, £25), available from Telegraph Books at £18 + £1.35p&p or call 0844 871 1515.
2. On his way to the Fire Temple for his birthday celebration. The family might usually have travelled by local taxi.
3. From the age of seven, Freddie attended St Peter’s school in Panchgani, India. He was something of a star pupil, winning a cup for ‘Best Achiever’.
4. Freddie studied at Ealing Art College, where his contemporaries included Peter Townshend and Ronnie Wood. It was here that he started thinking about pursuing a career in music.
5. A photoshoot for Queen done at Freddie’s flat in Holland Park
6. Freddie at a photoshoot in Primrose Hill in north London in September 1974
7. Freddie with his parents Jer and Bomi Bulsara on a visit to his Kensington flat
8. Freddie backstage at the Rainbow Theatre, London in November 1974
9. Images taken by Freddie’s bandmate Brian May using a stereo camera. I almost always carried a stereo camera with us on tour.
10. The Duck House on the edge of Lake Geneva in Montreux, Switzerland, became Freddie’s haven from the attentions of the media during the latter part of his career.