1. All images from Freddie Mercury, The Great Pretender, A Life in Pictures (Goodman Books, £25), available from Telegraph Books at £18 + £1.35p&p or call 0844 871 1515.
2. On his way to the Fire Temple for his birthday celebration. The family might usually have travelled by local taxi.
3. From the age of seven, Freddie attended St Peter’s school in Panchgani, India. He was something of a star pupil, winning a cup for ‘Best Achiever’.
4. Freddie studied at Ealing Art College, where his contemporaries included Peter Townshend and Ronnie Wood. It was here that he started thinking about pursuing a career in music.
5. A photoshoot for Queen done at Freddie’s flat in Holland Park