Pencil vs Camera by Ben Heine with the Drawing
1. Belgian artist Ben Heine blends photography and pencil sketches to create imaginary scenes. He explains: “I find a location, do a drawing, then take a photo to combine with the drawing.
2. Ben’s subjects include imaginary effects combined with animals and architecture, and sometimes people. “I like to stretch people’s imaginations. A monkey on the Underground, why not?
3. One piece, Pencil Vs Camera 57, was created in London last year and features model Caroline Madison lying in the street with a bird swooping down on her.
4. Ben, who studied journalism but now works as a full time artist in Brussels, has nearly reached his goal of finishing 100 pieces. He has used locations in London, Spain, Tunisia, and Belgium for his work.
5. He says: “I started the series mixing drawing and photography in 2010 and it’s almost reaching an end. A few months ago, I started adding colours in my sketches – previously they had all been black and white.”
6. Ben is exhibiting his Pencil vs Camera series in collaboration with The Art Movement at the Avenue Bar in St James’s, London until June 16.