Scotch Tape Off the Sculpture contest winners 2012
1. Scotch Tape set customers the challenge of creating imaginative art pieces just using rolls of the sticky tape. Jake Longenecker from Manheim, Pennsylvania scooped the $5,000 cash prize with Free Fallin’, a skydiver made from 15-and-a-half rolls of tape and inspired by a WWII era paratrooper…
2. …Jake explains: My objective was to capture the action and intensity of such a simple and graceful act, such as falling through the sky. I accomplished this by uniformly wrapping parts of my own body with tape, which were later assembled into the skydiver.
3. Abigail Colety from Austin, Texas won $1,000 as runner-up for Game Night, a depiction of two people playing draughts, made using 9 rolls of tape
4. Three sculptures tied for second runner-up: The Creation of Adam Artist by Gavin M Puyallup, Wa. It took two weeks to make
5. Tight Rope Tape Walker Artist by Michelle N, Louisville, KY, made from 12 rolls of tape (another second runner-up)
6. One Octopus Band by Lila F from Omaha, Ne, using 55 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape (another second runner-up). The octopus 660 tape suction cups and the sculpture has movable parts like trumpet valves, flute keys & fishing line strings.
7. Come play with me by Tania B, Cape Coral, Fl. Made from six rolls of Scotch Shipping Tape.
8. Jumpin-Jack by William B, Cape Coral, Fl, made from three rolls of Scotch Packing tape.
9. Unlimited MPG by Michael H, Carmel, Ca, made from six rolls of Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Tape
10. King of the Jungle by Natasha M, Champlin, Mn
11. Family Vacation by Bryson G, Lincoln, Ne, made using 164 rolls of Scotch tape.
12. Take a Seat and Fly Away by Alexis E, River Vale, NJ
13. Spiderman by Hillary G, from Diamond, Mo
14. Under the Sea at University by Natasha P, Pittsburgh, PA. mermaid, seahorse, turtle, jellyfish and squid made with 26 rolls of Scotch tape
15. Full of Hot Air by Dona S, Colorado Springs. The sculpture features a faux fire to fill the balloon with hot air and lights to make it glow