Ava and I Dzheydon are two mothers. Theresa Volpe – Mommy and Mercedes Santos – Mom. Santos and Volpe are same-sex couple and raising their biological children. They struggle to Illinois recognized gay marriage. Photographer Jim Young spent some time with them, documenting their lives.
1. Mercedes Santos and Theresa Volpe laughing during a game of cards with his children Dzheydonom and Ava at his home in Chicago, Illinois.
2. Theresa Volpe Dzheydona kisses his son.
3. Theresa Volpe looks at his son Dzheydona after he played the violin.
4. Mercedes Santos playing cards with his son Dzheydonom.
5. Theresa Volpe and Mercedes Santos making cookies with their children.
6. Mercedes Santos and Ava making cookies at his home in Chicago.
7. The sticker on the back window of the car Theresa Volpe associated with her family in Evanston, Illinois.
8. Mercedes Santos and Theresa Volpe listning to instructions on the food warehouse, where they are volunteers, in Evanston.
9. Dzheydon buzzing in the “pipe” out of cardboard for the arrival of his mom Teresa and Meresedes to school at the ball on the occasion of Valentine’s Day in Wilmette, Illinois.
10. Theresa Volpe helps her son to wear uniform for school in Wilmette.
11. Dzheydon dancing with her two mothers at the ball on the occasion of Valentine’s Day.
12. Dzheydon Santos Volpe giving valentine gift to his two mothers.
13. Valentine, written Dzheydonom.
14. Theresa Volpe and Dzheydon soon joined Springfield to attend the hearing on same-sex marriages in the state of Illinois, with Mercedes Santos and Ava
15. Theresa Volpe and Mercedes Santos awaiting the hearing of the Executive Committee of the Senate of Illinois at Springfield.
16. At a hearing on the issue of gay marriage all family.
17. Theresa Volpe speaks at the hearing.
18. Theresa Volpe and Mercedes Santos reading email on the phone.
20. Dzheydon Santos Volpe plays with her friend Sam Crawford Klunan, while his mother talking with her lawyer Eric Roldanom.