1. Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, has been given the highest honour in Scotland after being installed as a Knight of the Thistle at a service in Edinburgh.
2. The event at the city’s St Giles’ Cathedral was attended by the Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh.
3. Thousands of people crowded on to the Royal Mile to catch a glimpse of William and Kate – known as the Earl and Countess of Strathearn.
4. The Order of the Thistle is the highest honour in Scotland and is second only in precedence in the UK to the Order of the Garter.
5. The Duchess of Cambridge, wearing a pale yellow coat and hat, took her place in the audience for the ceremony.