According to a study released by Transport for America walkers and bikers please stay alert when crossing the road, because they were hit by a car or truck in every seven minutes, resulting in over 47,700 deaths and almost 688,000 injured between 2000 and 2009. Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville some of most dangerous places for pedestrians in the state. These deaths are common thread because the ‘arterial’ roadways which are dangerous by design, streets engineered for speeding traffic.
Transportation for America found many of the roads simply walking along busy streets for exercise. And they advice to states to spent some extra money for infrastructure and try to focus on people’s safety.
The 10 Dangerous Pedestrians
1. Orlando/Kissimmee, Florida
2. Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida
3. Jacksonville, Florida
4. Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Pompano, Florida
5. Riverside/San Bernardino/Ontario, California
6. Las Vegas/Paradise, Nevada
7. Memphis, Tennessee
8. Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Arizona
9. Houston/Sugar Land/Baytown, Texas
10. Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington, Texas