1. Water winger: the Germans, once again, have turned to the animal kingdom ahead of a major football tournament. Following the success of Paul the Psychic Octopus at the 2008 World Cup finals they are turning to this small-clawed otter at the zoo in Aue, Germany, to provide predictions for their matches at Euro 2012. And we thought England were clutching at straws with Andy Carroll. The otter predicted a win in their match against Portugal.
2. Back of the net: Nelly the elephant has also, er, predicted that Germany would beat Portugal after kicking the ball into the Portuguese goal at Serengeti Park in Hodenhagen, Germany. Wonder if Nelly has any English blood? The way things are going he could get a game for Roy Hodgson’s side.
3. History repeating: Paulo, an octopus oracle (original, huh?) at the Sea Life aquarium in Porto, is in agreement with Nelly and the unnamed otter and reckons his landlords will lose out to Germany in their Group B game. Now there’s gratitude for you!
4. Food for thought: Citta the elephant in Krakow, Poland reckons co-hosts will beat surprise 2004 winners Greece. He clearly knows who’s feeding him!
5. Snowball effect: not to be outdone Ukraine have made up, sorry discovered, their own psychic animal in Funtik the psychic pig in Kiev …
6. … elsewhere in Kiev a ferret has been dining with deputy mayor of Kharkiv Alexander Popov and zoo director Alexei Grigoryev to discuss tactics. Maybe.
7. Milking it: back in Germany a farmer in Deggendorf reckons one of his cows (Yvonne in case you wondered) can outwit an elephant. As if!
8. Tight-lipped: Nicholas the llama at Ashdown Forest Llama Park in East Sussex, successfully predicted the outcome of last month’s Champions League final, making him a worthy successor to Paul the octopus. Mr llama was unavailable for comment when Telegraph Sport asked for his England predictions