How to make a DIY cloth face mask using items around the home, such as a scarf, bandanna, hand towel or t-shirt. Demonstrated by Surgeon General, Dr. Jerome Adams.
Here are recommendations from the CDC on how to wear a cloth face covering
Cloth face coverings should —
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
Should cloth face coverings be washed or otherwise cleaned regularly? How regularly?
Yes. They should be routinely washed depending on the frequency of use.
How does one safely sterilize/clean a cloth face covering?
A washing machine should suffice in properly washing a face covering.
How does one safely remove a used cloth face covering?
Individuals should be careful not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when removing their face covering and wash hands immediately after removing.
More information on cloth face coverings to help slow the spread of COVID-19 can be found on the CDC website here.