Syria conflict: massive bomb blasts hit Aleppo
1. At least 48 people have been killed and nearly 100 wounded, most of them soldiers, in a spate of car bombs that blasted the heart of Syria’s second city Aleppo.
2. A local official reported an initial toll of 37 dead and dozens wounded, many of them critically.
3. Near the officers’ club, part of the facade of a hotel was destroyed by the force of the blasts, and a two-storey cafe collapsed completely.
4. A shopowner whose store is located a block away from the officers’ club said: “I pulled out from the rubble a child less than 10 years old.
5. Aleppo, Syria’s commercial hub and largest city, has seen intensified fighting between regime forces and rebels trying to oust President.
6. State-run news agency SANA described the bombings as the work of “terrorists”.
7. “It was like a series of earthquakes,” said a shaken resident who declined to be identified for fear of reprisals.
8. Free Syrian Army fighters wait to cross a street while attempting to avoid Syrian Army snipers in Saif al Dawle district, Aleppo